Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My mom emailed me this and I thought it was cute so I wanted to share it.

IEPs by Dr. Seuss (Rhythm from Green Eggs & Ham) Do you like these IEPs?I do not like these IEPsI do not like them, Geez LouiseWe test, we checkWe plan, we meetBut nothing ever seems completeWould you, could you like the form?I do not like the form I seeNot page 1, not 2, not 3Another changeA brand new boxI think we allHave lost our rocksCould you all meet here or there?We could not all meet here or thereWe cannot all fit anywhere!Not in a roomNot in the hallThere seems to be no space at allWould you, could you meet again?I cannot meet again next weekNo lunch, no prepPlease hear me speakNo not at dusk. No not at dawnAt 4 p.m. I should be goneCould you hear while all speak out?Would you write the words they spout?I could not hear, I would not writeThis does not need to be a fightSign here, date thereMark this, check thatBeware the student's ad-vo-cat(e)You do not like themSo you sayTry again, try again!And you mayIf you will let me beI will try againYou'll seeSay!I almost like these IEPs!I think I'll write six thousand threeAnd I will practice day and nightUntil they say"You've got it right!"

3 comments:

jessica said...

That is really cute and seems to be so true for some teachers. What I got from it is that teachers do not like to take time to work with students on their IEP's and try to reach these goals and they feel about the same when it comes to meeting as a group to discuss them. Why bother is what I am getting from this. To be a special education teacher you have to take all that comes with it and work with all your might to help the students to reach their IEP goals. You have to have a true love for these children and a passion and that is what it is all about!!!

rachel said...

I have had to do interviews with special education teachers for one of my classes this semester. Both teachers I interviewed told me to know what I was getting into with special education and understand that you don't work just from the time the children arrive and until they leave. I think this little poem is definitely representative of the time it takes outside of the classroom to ensure that what goes on inside the classroom is effective!

heather20 said...

That is very cute. I'm going to send it my mom who is a special eudcation teacher. I know she gets very frustrated when it comes to IEPs and trying to work with regular education teachers when it comes to them, but she does what she can. She really loves her kids and does everything in her power to help her kids, I know she feels like they truly are her's.